Homenfl

Five reasons why Tom Brady is better at 44 than he was at 24

Profile Picture: Andrew Champagne

September 29th, 2021

Tom Brady is 44 years old and is playing with and against players half his age. Despite that, an argument can be made that he’s playing some of the best football of his career at an age where most signal-callers have long since graduated to the golf course or broadcast booth. Here are five reasons why he’s as effective as ever!

5. His supporting cast

Tom Brady is surrounded by playmakers at skill positions. His wide receiver corps of Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Antonio Brown is one of the best in football, and his tight end group features familiar face Rob Gronkowski. Any opposing defense has to account for every one of those weapons, and that makes for some situations that are less than ideal.

4. His coach

Bruce Arians has proven himself to be a quarterback’s best friend. He’s coached the likes of Peyton Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, so having a Hall of Fame signal-caller in the room is nothing new for him. Add in the fact that his playbook features a heavy dose of deep shots down the field, and you have a recipe for a gunslinger to thrive.

3. His wellness regimen

Much is made of Tom Brady’s eating and training habits, and those have kept him in tip-top shape. 80% of what Brady eats is fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes, while the other 20% is protein. Add in an intense workout plan curated by trainer Alex Guerrero, and you have someone in far better shape than most of his contemporaries.

2. The game has changed

With the emphasis on player safety has come changes in the way referees do their jobs. Quarterbacks are protected like never before, and wide receivers are protected from many kinds of devastating hits that were common when Brady first suited up for the New England Patriots many years ago.

1. Offenses have changed

When Tom Brady came into the league more than 20 years ago, the game was focused far more on the conventional run game. Over the course of his career, play-calling has evolved to feature far more downfield passing that spotlights efficient quarterbacking.

There have been few more efficient than Brady, who threw for more than 4,600 yards last season and is on track for a similar type of campaign in 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

Loading...