10 Things The Champ Beychok Is Looking Forward To Experiencing In Dubai
by MICHAEL BEYCHOK
They’re off, and so am I… to Dubai for the richest horse race in the world: The $10-million Dubai World Cup on Saturday, March 26, at Meydan Racecourse.
The opportunity to travel to a new racetrack is always exciting, but traveling to a country halfway across the world to see some of the best horses in the world is an over-the-Moon-type of feeling. I’m looking forward to taking in not only the majesty of Meydan Race Course but also as much of the entire Dubai experience as possible—including some non-horse related things.
Here are ten things I’m most looking forward to while visiting the United Arab Emirates:
1. Seeing California Chrome and his trainer Art Sherman on the world stage and out to avenge his loss last year in the $10-million dollar Dubai World Cup;
2. Checking out Frosted up close and personal to see how much he has grown since his three-year-old season. This also goes for Keen Ice, who was the only horse to beat Triple Crown Champion American Pharoah last year;
3. Taking in the Godolphin blue on its home turf;
4. Watching the stars of Europe and Asia putting in their final paces as the Sun comes up over Meydan on Thursday and Friday mornings;
5. Going to the top of the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest tower despite having a bit of height fright
6. Taking a leisurely walk through the Souk Al Bahar, the upscale bazaar with shops selling everything from spices to souvenirs;
7. Seeing Triple Crown nominee Lani compete in the UAE Derby, as I’ve had my eye on this grey Tapit colt since I was made aware that the Japanese horse and his connections are aiming for the Kentucky Derby;
8. Eating at some of the great restaurants of the world and finding some authentic Middle Eastern food;
9. Having a cup of tea and people watching at one of the local tea houses;
10. Betting on the World Cup card Saturday morning for myself and for the TwinSpires.com Players’ Pool.
There you have ten things I’m looking forward to over the next few days in Dubai. Let me know your thoughts and suggestions for doing Dubai by following me on twitter at @beychokracing and don’t forget to join the TwinSpires.com Players’ Pool for World Cup on Saturday!