Chasing the Feb. 23 Pick 6 carryovers at Mahoning Valley and Turf Paradise

Profile Picture: J. Keeler Johnson

February 23rd, 2021

Looking for appealing carryovers to chase? Mahoning Valley and Turf Paradise will satisfy your craving with a pair of jackpot-style Pick 6 carryovers up for grabs on Tuesday.

Let’s check out the details of each sequence and highlight a handful of runners to build tickets around:

Mahoning Valley: Buckeye Pick 6

Carryover amount: $34,026
Base bet: 20 cents
Sequence starts: Race 3, 1:40 p.m. ET
Number of entries: 40 (6.7 per race)

Unless you plan on constructing a unique winning ticket (easier said than done), you probably shouldn’t head into the Buckeye Pick 6 with visions of massive payoffs. On days when multiple winning tickets are sold, 70% of the pool is added to the carryover, leaving just 30% to be split among winning bettors. Monday’s sequence returned just $1,144.08 even after a 42-1 shot won the finale.

But suppose you’re able to construct a winning ticket on a $20 budget? In that case, even a payoff of $500 would be well worth pursuing. That’s why Tuesday’s Pick 6 warrants a long look; with just 40 horses in the mix, the sequence looks winnable on a small budget.

They key may be favoring late runners who seem destined to rally wide. The track at Mahoning Valley has been very slow and tiring, placing speed horses and rail runners at a disadvantage. Monday’s card failed to produce a single gate-to-wire winner, with the majority of victorious runners enjoying wide trips.

So which runners can you count on for Tuesday’s Pick 6? In Race 4, #2 Sheza Fine Justice (7-5) looms as a late-running standout on Brisnet Speed ratings, stamping the eight-year-old mare as a potential single for hot trainer Jeffrey Radosevich. #4 Valycove (2-1) in Race 5 should also sit a nice outside trip in a race where the expected pacesetters have drawn the innermost posts. And as we noted in our “Picks and Plays” for Tuesday, #6 Hardly Swayed (7-2) in Race 6 and #6 The New Miami (2-1) in Race 7 appear well-poised to spring mild surprises.

Turf Paradise: Grand Canyon Pick 6

Carryover amount: $391,648
Base bet: 20 cents
Sequence starts: Race 5, 4:46 p.m. ET
Number of entries: 66 (11 per race)

You’ll be hard-pressed to find a tougher Pick 6 this week than the one Turf Paradise has assembled for Tuesday. With an average of 11 horses per race, this Grand Canyon Pick 6 sequence is worthy of the $391,648 carryover it boasts.

Finding a reliable single would go a long way toward keeping our ticket costs reasonable… but of course, reliable singles in 11-horse fields don’t grow on trees. We’d be rich if they did! Instead, we’ll have to seek a reasonable facsimile to a reliable single and hope for the best.

The best opportunity might come in Race 7, a $30,000 maiden optional claiming race. #1 Blame It On Rio (3-1), hailing from the barn of high-percentage trainer Robertino Diodoro, is the morning line favorite. But Blame It On Rio hasn’t run since finishing third for an $80,000 tag at Santa Anita more than two years ago; in the interim, he’s been gelded and switched to a different barn

There’s no guarantee Blame It On Rio will bring his A-game off the extended break, stamping stablemate #5 Dreadnaught (9-2) as an appealing alternative. The son of Midshipman has been posting competitive Brisnet Speed ratings against maiden special weight company at Remington Park and picks up ultra-hot jockey Luis Negron for his first run at Turf Paradise. If he wins as a single at 9-2, we’ll be well on our way to cashing an enticing payoff in the Grand Canyon Pick 6.

Good luck!