1. Defining Handicapping Contests
Handicapping contests hosted by BetAmerica.com are games of skill. Winners are determined by the criteria stated in each contest's rules, published prior to entries being taken. For each contest, winners are determined by the individuals who use their skill and knowledge of handicapping and knowledge of pari-mutuel payouts to accumulate the most fantasy points. Fantasy points are accumulated through the performance of individual athletes across multiple racing events. All entries in handicapping contests must be made up of players drawn from a minimum of two races or events.
Handicapping Contests are a game of skill in prior to accepting entries, each contest will publish a fixed prize pool, fixed entry fee, and maximum number of entries. Unless designated as a ‘Guaranteed’ contest, all contests must fill to capacity in order to be played. ‘Guaranteed’ contest will be played regardless of the number of entries; a contest not ‘Guaranteed’ which fails to reach capacity will cancel and immediately refund all entry fees.
You hereby represent and warrant that you are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations and warranties set forth in these terms and to abide by and comply with these terms.
- You are of 18 years of age or older
- You are a citizen or resident of the United States of America or Canada and that you have an address in the United States of America or Canada;
- You are physically located in the United States of America or Canada and reside in a jurisdiction in which participation in any contest you choose to participate in is not prohibited by applicable law;
- You are not listed on any U.S. Government list of prohibited or restricted parties;
- You are not a resident of any of the following states: Arizona, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Montana, Nevada, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Vermont, Virginia and Washington.
- You are not subject to backup withholding tax because: (a) you are exempt from backup withholding, or (b) you have not been notified by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) that you are subject to backup withholding as a result of a failure to report all interest or dividends, or (c) the IRS has notified you that you are no longer subject to backup withholding.
Visit www.BetAmerica.com to register for an account. In order to participate in handicapping contests hosted by BetAmerica, you must register for an account. By registering an account, you agree to provide accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted (such information being the “Registration Data”) and maintain and promptly update the Registration Data to keep it accurate, current and complete. If you provide any information that is inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or BetAmerica has reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is inaccurate, not current or incomplete, BetAmerica may deny you access to areas requiring registration, or terminate your account, at its sole discretion.
State and federal regulatory agencies require BetAmerica to verify the age and residency information provided during registration. THIS IS NOT A CREDIT CHECK. If the information you provide does not match the information on file with Equifax, Inc. or TransUnion, LLC, you may be required to provide additional verification to create an account. For more information contact our customer service team.
4. Entry Fees
Each BetAmerica handicapping contests has an entry fee listed in US dollars. When you opt to participate in a contest, that amount in US dollars will be debited from your BetAmerica account. Then, follow the links and instructions provided for entry. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the person in whose Username the entry was submitted, or if possession of the Username itself is contested and in BetAmerica’s opinion sufficiently uncertain, the name in which the email address on file was registered with the email service provider. BetAmerica reserves the right not to award a prize to an individual it believes in its sole discretion did not submit the winning entry.
Some contests may allow players to purchase multiple entries into a single contest. The number of entries allowed per player will be published in the rules of each contest.
Contest requiring paid entry have a wide variety of entry fee amounts, ranging from $1 to $10,000 or more. The fixed entry fee will be published for each contest prior to the acceptance of entries. Some contests require no paid entry and are listed as “Freeroll” contests.
5. Contest Format
Handicapping contests hosted by BetAmerica will be scored pursuant to the published rules associated with each handicapping contest, which will be published prior to entries being accepted to the contest. Each contest will have a published list of mandatory races from which players must select one (1) horse whose finishing position and pari-mutuel payout will determine the player’s score for the race.
Mythical Bankroll: The most common contest format is the accumulation of a mythical bankroll aggregated from mythical $2 Win & $2 Place wagers. Players are tasked with selecting one (1) horse from each mandatory contest race. For purposes of scoring, the player places a mythical wager of $2 to Win and $2 to Place on that single horse.
- If a player's horse wins, the player collects on both the Win and Place wagers.
- If the horse finishes in a Place position, the player collects only on the Place wager.
- All wagers and payouts from races are mythical and will be used as a score only.
The payoffs from the mythical wagers are aggregates to determine the contest winners; the player/s with the largest mythical bankroll is determined to be the winner/s to will receive prizes as published for each contest.
Payoff Caps: Unless otherwise stated in the contest rules, payoff caps for each wager type will be in effect as follows:
- 20-1 odds on Win odds ($42 max payout)
- 10-1 odds on Place odds ($22 max payout)
Tiebreakers: Ties will be resolved as follows:
- In the event of a tie for cash contest, cash prizes are divided evenly amongst the participants that have tied.
- In the event of a tie for a “Token” or “Qualifier” contest, except for those to the National Handicapping Championship
- 1) The entry with the most number of winners from Primary selections will win the tie
- 2) The entry with the most number of second place finishers (Place) from Primary selections will win the tie
- 3) The entry with the most number of third-place finishers (Show) from Primary selections will win the tie
- 4) The entry with the most number of fourth-place finishers from Primary selections will win the tie
- 5) Tied participants will participate in a "Playoff" tournament to be held the following Saturday - or on a date agreeable to all tied players. Playoff tournament details to be chosen at discretion of Tournament Director.
Leaderboard: Contest standings will be updated soon after dividends are returned after each contest race and will be displayed on the leaderboard found in each contest. Players will be able to view other players’ roster selections for only those races which have ‘Closed’ to editing.
6. Races/Event Cancellations
At least 60% of the races in a contest must be complete for a contest to be considered complete and payout. If less than 60% of the contest races fail to complete (either due to track cancellations or technical issues with the contest platform), the contest will be canceled and refunds will be issued.
NHC QUALIFIERS or REAL MONEY EVENTS OF AT LEAST $10,000 ONLY:
If less than 60 percent of the contest events have been completed, and three (3) or more individual contest events have been completed, the completed events will be retained for scoring purposes, with the balance of contest races added at a later date.
7. ScratchesPlayers may adjust their selections in response to scratches up until wagering pools are closed for the race, at which time players are no longer eligible to edit their selections for the specific race.
For each contest race, players must make both a Primary and Alternate selection.
- The Primary selection is the selection which is used for scoring purposes.
- In the event that the Primary selection is scratched, the Alternate selection will be used for scoring purposes.
- In the event that both the Primary and Alternate selections scratch, player will be awarded the post time favorite.
- If a player fails to make a selection in a contest race, player will not receive the post time favorite; it is the player’s responsibility to make selections for every contest race.
The purposes of Handicapping Contests, the post time favorite is delivered by the Tote company and is the horse with the most money bet on it in the 'Win' pool. If two or more horses are returned as the Post Time Favorite and have exactly the same amount of money in the 'Win' pool, the Post Time Favorite for purposes of Racing Contests shall be the horse with the lower Program Number. (i.e. if both the 2 horse and the 7 horse were deemed to be Post Time Favorites, the 2 horse would be considered the Post Time Favorite for purposes of Handicapping Contest)
8. Selection Deadlines
Live Play ContestUnless otherwise noted, all Handicapping Contests are considered "Live Play" and players may make selections for a race and edit their selection rosters up until wagering pools close for each race. Minutes to post are determined by the tote company and will be communicated for each race in the contest by clicking "Details" and selecting "Races." Cut off time for entry submission is based on the “wager closed" messaging received from our tote provider. The closing of entries earlier than the official start of the race will not justify a refund. When the pools for wagering close, players may not adjust their roster for that race but may still adjust their roster for future races in the contest. When a race is closed for edits, it will show "Results Pending" on the Races tab.
Players are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to make their selections as early as possible and with at least 1-2 minutes prior to post time for the next contest race. Players should be aware of delays in transmission via internet streaming services or television feeds that may not represent the actual real time of races. The Participant is 100 percent responsible for ensuring that a contest wager has been accepted, regardless of the circumstances. Players should pay close attention to race schedules for all contests, as post times can change throughout the day due to delays or other circumstances.
Handicapping contests denoted as "Handcuff" contests mandate that players make selections for each contest race prior to the closing of the first race event in the contest. After the first race in the content is considered 'closed' for selections (until wagering pools are closed) - players will be 'handcuffed' to their selections and unable to edit any selections for any races in the contest. Late scratches and other changes are not grounds for editing rosters, and scratches will be handled pursuant to point number 7 in the official rules, above.
9. Cancellation/Refund Policy
All contest entry purchases are final. If a player would like to request that their contest entry be canceled and refunded, player must contact the customer service team, who may cancel and refund the entry at their own discretion. No refunds will be issued within one hour of the scheduled start time of a contest for any reason.