Keeler Johnson's picks and plays April 5
Today’s special offers from TwinSpires include:
- Midweek Bet Back: Receive refunds on win bets (up to $10) if your horse finishes second in select races at Turf Paradise.
- Trifecta Tuesday: Receive a 15% bonus (up to $25 per day) on winning trifecta tickets.
- Scandinavian Bet Back: Receive refunds on win bets (up to $10) if your horse finishes second in any race at Rattvik (SWE), Axevalla (SWE), or Eskilstuna (SWE).
Picks and Plays
Will Rogers Downs: Race 1: $15,000 Maiden Claiming (six furlongs, 2:00 p.m. ET)
#4 Secret Avenger (2-1) has shown significant tactical speed while facing tougher company. In a pair of $25,000 maiden claimers at Remington Park last fall, Secret Avenger set the pace before weakening to finish third and sixth, earning solid Brisnet Speed ratings of 67 and 57.
Dropping down to the $15,000 maiden claiming level at Will Rogers Downs can send Secret Avenger to the winner’s circle. The fact she’s picking up hot apprentice jockey Kylee Jordan (a 34% winner at Will Rogers Downs) adds to the appeal, since Secret Avenger will benefit from a five-pound weight break.
#1 Run a Fire (7-2), #2 Black Cheetah (6-1), and #5 Reina Del Sur (3-1) can battle for places in the trifecta.
- $24 to win on #4 Secret Avenger
- $4 Trifecta: 4 with 1,5 with 1,2,5 ($16)
Will Rogers Downs: Race 2: $15,000 Claiming (5 1/2 furlongs, 2:28 p.m. ET)
#3 Twilite Liason (3-1) ran a big race over this track and class level on March 22. After dueling for command through hot fractions of :22.41 and :45.40, Twilite Liason battled on gamely to finish second by half a length, earning a strong 76 Brisnet Speed rating.
Cutting back from six furlongs to 5 1/2 furlongs shouldn’t bother Twilite Liason, who should have sufficient speed to out-sprint recent Will Rogers Downs maiden winner #2 Livingontulsatime (5-2) and the stakes-experienced #5 Blueskiesandangels (7-2) in the race to the finish line.
- $20 to win on #3 Twilite Liason
- $5 Exacta: 3 with 2,5 ($10)
Will Rogers Downs: Race 6: Maiden Special Weight (six furlongs, 4:20 p.m. ET)
#4 Bendelene (8-5) has cracked the trifecta in all six of her starts against maiden special weight company at Remington Park and Sam Houston. Five of those runs have come on grass, but she displayed promising dirt form in a five-furlong dash at Remington last fall, finishing second behind next-out allowance winner Staci’s Red Dress.
Bendelene brings a strong series of Brisnet Speed ratings to Will Rogers Downs and should be tough to defeat in her 2022 debut. #2 Rosie Flashback (4-1), #5 Include the Love (6-1), and #6 Acela Express (2-1) look like the most logical candidates to round out the trifecta.
- $24 to win on #4 Bendelene
- $4 Trifecta: 4 with 2,6 with 2,5,6 ($16)
- Total: $40