Keeler Johnson's picks and plays for April 13
Today’s special offers from TwinSpires include:
- Midweek Bet Back: Receive refunds on win bets (up to $10) if your horse finishes second in select races at Parx Racing.
- Rest of the World Bet Back: Receive refunds on win bets (up to $10) if your horse finishes second in any race at Happy Valley (Hong Kong).
- Scandinavian Bet Back: Receive refunds on win bets (up to $10) if your horse finishes second in any race at select Swedish tracks.
- $15,000 Place Jackpot at Keeneland: Place at least six winning $10+ place bets at Keeneland to win your share of a daily $1,000 jackpot.
Picks and Plays
Keeneland: Race 1: Maiden Special Weight (4 1/2 furlongs, 1:00 p.m. ET)
#5 Top of My Game (6-1) has put together a flashy work tab for trainer Luis Mendez, who saddled King Adrock to dominate the first juvenile race of the Keeneland Spring Meet. Top of My Game has posted half a dozen workouts already, including three from the Keeneland starting gate. He was particularly sharp last Saturday, clocking three furlongs in :35 3/5.
Top of My Game is facing a few promising rivals, including the high-profile Wesley Ward trainees #7 Olczyk (5-2) and #3 Alibi Ike (3-1). But Top of My Game’s 6-1 morning line odds are too enticing to pass up, so we’ll bet the bay colt to win and key him on top in the exacta.
- $20 to win on #5 Top of My Game
- $5 Exacta: 5 with 3,7 ($10)
Will Rogers Downs: Race 1: $7,500 Claiming (1 1/16 miles, 2:00 p.m. ET)
There’s essentially no pace in this five-horse field, which bodes well for the chances of #2 Gold Bear (7-5). The son of Pioneerof the Nile routinely races close to the pace and enters in red-hot form, having won his last two starts racing one mile at Sam Houston by daylight margins.
Gold Bear was especially sharp in a $5,000 claimer on March 24, tracking the early pace before taking command to win by 3 1/4 lengths with a career-best 78 Brisnet Speed rating. Gold Bear will face tougher competition on Wednesday, but a perfect trip should be in the offing under hot apprentice jockey Kylee Jordan, who rides with a favorable five-pound weight allowance.
#5 Valentine Guy (7-2) can complete a cold exacta.
- $25 to win on #2 Gold Bear
- $10 Exacta: 2 with 5
Will Rogers Downs: Race 4: Allowance (six furlongs, 3:28 p.m. ET)
#4 Rowdy Rascal (5-2) was on a roll at Remington Park last year, rattling off three straight victories. After rallying to win the Oklahoma Classics Juvenile S. sprinting six furlongs, Rowdy Rascal stretched out over one mile to dominate the Don C. McNeill S. by three lengths over next-out allowance winner Cuatro Madres.
Rowdy Rascal subsequently faltered when facing tougher competition in the Remington Springboard Mile S. on the Road to the Kentucky Derby, finishing fifth. But he’s been freshened since then and should appreciate dropping down in class and distance for this six-furlong allowance sprint. Rowdy Rascal has put together a sharp work tab at Will Rogers Downs (including a bullet half-mile in :46 4/5) and is facing only four rivals, setting the stage for a winning effort off the layoff.
#1 Flashfordani (9-5) and #5 Oneofthemgirls (2-1) can complete the exacta and trifecta.
- $20 to win on #4 Rowdy Rascal
- $5 Exacta: 4 with 1,5 ($10)
- $2.50 Trifecta: 4 with 1,5 with 1,5 ($5)