Keeler Johnson's picks and plays May 11
Today’s special offers from TwinSpires include:
- Midweek Bet Back: Receive refunds on win bets (up to $10) if your horse finishes second in select races at Parx Racing.
- Rest of the World Bet Back: Receive refunds on win bets (up to $10) if your horse finishes second in any race at Happy Valley (Hong Kong).
- Exacta Insurance: Receive refunds on exacta bets (up to $10) if your two selected horses finish in the first three home (but not in the winning order) at Thistledown. Offer applies to straight exacta bets only.
Picks and Plays
Horseshoe Indianapolis: Race 1: Maiden Special Weight (4 1/2 furlongs, 2:30 p.m. ET)
#6 Amira Wins (7-2) ran reasonably well in a two-furlong maiden special weight on April 25 at Parx Racing, finishing third by 2 1/2 lengths. We can think of it as a good training run for Wednesday’s test over a meaningfully longer distance.
As a daughter of Kentucky Derby (G1) winner Always Dreaming out of a Candy Ride mare, Amira Wins brings a classy pedigree to the table. She’s also adding Lasix and picking up hot apprentice jockey Thiago Canuto (4-1-1-1 to start the Horseshoe Indianapolis meet), which means Amira Wins will benefit from a seven-pound weight break.
We’ll bet Amira Wins to win, then key her over #3 Baytown Jagger (5-1) and #4 Huntertown (2-1) in a small exacta.
- $20 to win on #6 Amira Wins
- $5 Exacta: 6 with 3,4 ($10)
- Total: $30
Horseshoe Indianapolis: Race 3: Maiden Special Weight (five furlongs, 3:32 p.m. ET)
#6 Seachrome (8-5) ran strongly in her debut over this distance at Keeneland one month ago. Overlooked at 8-1 in a maiden special weight, Seachrome was always prominent and led in midstretch before settling for second place by a neck.
This effort produced a 70 Brisnet Speed rating, two points higher than the par winning figure for Wednesday’s conditions. Seachrome is picking up hot jockey Samuel Bermudez (a 21% winner at Horseshoe Indianapolis) for her second career start, setting the stage for a winning effort.
#2 Lady Mine (7-2) and #3 Shaymyname (3-1) can battle for exacta honors.
- $20 to win on #6 Seachrome
- $5 Exacta: 6 with 2,3 ($10)
Parx Racing: Race 8: $15,000 Claiming (6 1/2 furlongs, 4:04 p.m. ET)
#4 Makeajoyfulnoise (7-2) hasn’t missed the trifecta in her last eight starts despite frequently switching barns. She’s been particularly hot at Parx over the last two months, wiring a $7,500 claimer by 10 3/4 lengths before employing pace-pressing tactics to nab a $12,500 claimer by four lengths.
Makeajoyfulnoise is stepping up in class again, but her combination of red-hot form and tactical speed figures to be formidable. There isn’t a crazy amount of pace in this field on paper, so we’ll bet Makeajoyfulnoise to win and key her over #7 Back Channel (3-1) in the exacta.
- $20 to win on #4 Makeajoyfulnoise
- $10 Exacta: 4 with 7