Bet on the 2021 Kentucky Derby
- Location: Churchill Downs
- Inaugural Race: 1875
- Current Distance: 1 & 1/4 miles (10 furlongs)
- Track Type: Left-Handed Dirt
- Age Qualification: Three-year-olds
- 2021 Purse: $3 million
- 2021 Race Date: Saturday, May 1st
2021 Kentucky Derby Odds, Betting Tips, & More
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Odds
- 2021 Kentucky Derby Contenders
- The Road to the 2021 Kentucky Derby
- 40 Kentucky Derby Facts That Will Surprise You
- Where to Watch The Kentucky Derby on TV: Schedule & Coverage
- Kentucky Derby Betting Games for a Party
2021 Kentucky Derby News
Last updated April 23, 2021
- Defections mean shrinking number of Derby bubble horses
- Kentucky Derby Workouts and Bubble Watch: April 19, 2021
- Retired jockey Rosie Napravnik to be featured analyst on Kentucky Derby Morning Works program
- Kentucky Derby roundup: April 12, 2021
- Kentucky Derby and Kentucky Oaks roundup: April 5, 2021
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks roundup: March 29, 2021
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Mar. 22, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Masqueparade, Perfect Cut fight for their diplomas
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: March 15, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: American Pharoah’s half-brother Triple Tap impresses
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: March 8, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Dynamic One, Untreated post romping wins for Pletcher
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Mar. 1, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Collaborate joins the scene with blowout victory
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Feb. 22, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Baffert’s Hozier prevails in route debut
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Feb. 15, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Pletcher sends out two more winners
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Feb. 8, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Dream Shake upsets Bezos in eye-catching fashion
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Feb. 1, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Soup and Sandwich romps for Mark Casse
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Prevalence, The Great One deliver stunning victories
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Baffert’s Concert Tour romps at Santa Anita
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Jan. 18, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Chad Brown, Bill Mott saddle multiple winners apiece
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Defeater, Roman Centurian decisively graduate
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Jan. 4, 2021
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Wipe the Slate flatters Life Is Good with sharp victory
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Dec. 21, 2020
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: By George, Prate enhance Into Mischief’s stellar season
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Baffert, Pletcher saddle eye-catching debut winners
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Dec. 7, 2020
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Perfect Munnings, Weyburn impress at Aqueduct
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Nov. 30, 2020
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Parnelli breaks through impressively at Del Mar
- Kentucky Derby Maiden Watch: Life Is Good dazzles in Del Mar debut
- Kentucky Derby and Oaks Roundup: Nov. 24, 2020
2020 Kentucky Derby Entries and Results, Payouts, Order of Finish
John R. Velazquez
Tiz the Law
Mr. Big News
W. Bret Calhoun
Honor A. P.
Mike E. Smith
John A. Shirreffs
Ricardo Santana, Jr.
Steven M. Asmussen
Storm the Court
Julien R. Leparoux
Mark E. Casse
Saffie A. Joseph, Jr.
Chris A. Hartman
Gregory D. Foley
Patrick L. Biancone
Joseph Rocco, Jr.
Todd A. Pletcher
Dale L. Romans
William I. Mott
- $2 Exacta (18-17) $41.00
- $2 Trifecta (18-17-9) $2,623.60
- $2 Superfecta (18-17-9-16) $15,851.60
Kentucky Derby Videos
Video of the 2020 Kentucky Derby
Watch the 2020 Derby, as Authentic shocked the world by dominating the field and crushing the Triple Crown hopes for Belmont Stakes winner and heavy favorite Tiz The Law. With Authentic's win, trainer Bob Baffert earned his sixth Kentucky Derby Victory, tying the record set by Hall of Fame Trainer Ben A. Jones.
Video of the 2019 Kentucky Derby
Watch the 2019 Derby, as Country House claimed a thrilling and controversial victory after the initial winner, Maximum Security, was disqualified following a lengthy post-race review. Going off at 65-1 odds, Country House was the second-biggest longshot to ever win the Kentucky Derby.
Video of the 2018 Kentucky Derby
Video of the 2017 Kentucky Derby
Video of the 2016 Kentucky Derby
Video of the 2015 Kentucky Derby
Video of the 2014 Kentucky Derby
A Brief History of the Kentucky DerbyThe most famous horse race in the world is the most thrilling two minutes in sport. It takes place on the first Saturday in May at the historic Churchill Downs racecourse in Louisville, Kentucky and regularly attended by more than 150,000 people. The record attendance was 165,307 in 2012, and in 2014 164,906 watched California Chrome win "the run for the roses".
The inaugural Kentucky Derby took place in 1875 after Col. Meriweather Lewis Clark, Jr had visited England three years earlier and witnessed the Epsom Derby, a famous race which had been run since 1780 on the outskirts of London. The Kentucky Derby was originally raced over the same distance of 1 & 1/2 miles as the Epsom Derby (it was changed to its current distance of 1 & 1/4 miles in 1896. An estimated crowd of 10,000 watched the colt Aristides crowned winner of the first running of the race at the newly constructed Churchill Downs racecourse.
The first live radio broadcast of the Kentucky Derby was in 1925, and it wasn't until 1949 that the first television coverage of the race happened. In 2016 the race will be covered live by NBC with real-time payouts and results from horse racing's premier event available all day on BetAmerica.com.
The race is so popular that in the preceding two weeks leading up to the running, the city of Louisville holds the Kentucky Derby Festival, Kentucky’s largest single annual event. The Kentucky Derby Festival is comprised of several events, including Thunder Over Louisville (the biggest annual fireworks display in North America), the Great Balloon Race, the Pegasus Parade (one the countries largest), and The Great Steamboat Race.
Entries into the Kentucky Derby include some of the most famous racehorses to ever compete. Notable entries into the race include Regret, Sir Burton, Gallant Fox, Omaha, War Admiral, Citation, Northern Dancer, Seattle Slew, War Emblem, and California Chrome.
Visit our Derby Trivia page for more insights into the most famous race in the world, including detailed facts about entries, records, and winners.
BetAmerica is a licensed supplier of online betting on the Kentucky Derby. You can bet on the Kentucky Derby legally online at BetAmerica with a regulated U.S. based website where your deposits are safe and your winnings are guaranteed. All bets are placed directly into the official Churchill Downs betting pools and all winnings are paid at full track odds.
Kentucky Derby Race Records
Fastest Time Recorded
Biggest Odds Winner
Most Wins by a Jockey
Eddie Arcaro (1938, 1941, 1945, 1948, 1952) & Bill Hartack (1957, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1969)
Most Wins by a Trainer
Ben A Jones (1938, 1941, 1944, 1948, 1949, 1952)
Bob Baffert (1997, 1998, 2002, 2015, 2018, 2020)
Most Wins by an Owner
Calumet Farm (1941, 1944, 1948, 1949, 1952, 1957, 1958, 1968)
Biggest Win Margin
Assault (1946) & Whirlaway (1941)
Historical Race Results for the Kentucky DerbyWinners of the Kentucky Derby are immediately cemented in horse racing history. In the table below, view a record of the winning horses, jockeys and trainers for the Kentucky Derby.
Spendthrift Farm LLC, MyRaceHorse Stable, Madaket Stables LLC, and Starlight Racing
Mrs. J.V. Shields, Jr., E. J. M. McFadden, Jr. and LNJ Foxwoods
Mike E. Smith
China Horse Club, Head of Plains Partners, Starlight Racing and WinStar Farm
MeB Racing, Brooklyn Boyz, et al.
J. Paul Reddam
Steve Coburn and Perry Martin
Claude McGaughey III
Stuart Janney and Phipps Stable
I'll Have Another
J. Paul Reddam
H. Graham Motion
Showing 1 to 10 of 146 entries
Kentucky Derby prep-race listing: