McCarthy day-to-day with sore right knee

Profile Picture:

TwinSpires Staff

July 3rd, 2016

Edited Press Release

Jockey Trevor McCarthy, injured in a post-race spill Saturday at Laurel Park, took off his mounts Sunday and remains day-to-day with a sore right knee, according to agent Scott Silver.

McCarthy, the leading rider in Maryland by wins off back-to-back meet titles at Laurel and Pimlico Race Course to open 2016, was replaced on all nine of his mounts Sunday. He is named in seven of 10 races on Monday’s special July 4th holiday program at Laurel.

“He was sore this morning and we’re just trying to give him a day and see how he is tomorrow and go from there,” Silver explained. “I don’t think it’s anything serious, just sore. I don’t want to rush him back. I want to make sure he’s good and if we have to miss a few days, we’ll do it.”

After Monday, Laurel is dark until Saturday, July 9. McCarthy, 22, is scheduled to ride in five of nine races Wednesday at Delaware Park, including Conscription in the $50,000 Christiana Stakes for three-year-old fillies.

McCarthy is also the new regular rider for legendary 10-year-old Maryland-bred multi-millionaire stakes-winning gelding Ben’s Cat, who is being pointed to the $200,000 Parx Dash (G3) on July 9.

“If we come to the middle of the week and he’s still not right, we’ll probably have to get more evaluation,” Silver said. “The medical department at Laurel was confident that nothing was severe and nothing was broken, anything like that. It could be a bone bruise, which they say is very painful. I know by not riding today, it can’t hurt him.”

McCarthy was unseated during the gallop out by three-year-old filly Giddy Up after winning Saturday’s 4TH race, his third victory of the day and fourth of the 24-day summer meet which opened July 1.

Trained by Anthony Pecoraro for Roman Hill Farm LLC, Giddy Up suddenly altered course and dropped McCarthy into the path of runner-up Awake the Day and was hit on the right knee.

McCarthy was treated on the track by medical personnel and walked back to the jockeys’ room under his own power. He was replaced on four of his final five mounts Saturday.

“He rides so hard. He’s a very hard rider,” Silver said. “He needed a day, and he’ll be day-to-day depending on how he feels.”

Trevor McCarthy photo courtesy of Jim McCue/Maryland Jockey Club