Who was the Greatest Triple Crown Winner of All-Time?
With the inauguration of the Kentucky Derby in 1875, the "Run for the Roses" joined the Preakness and the Belmont Stakes to form America's premier trio of horse races. First used by Daily Racing Form writer Charles Hatton in 1930, the term "Triple Crown" refers to the the rare thoroughbred who successfully wins all three of these elite and historic races in a single year.
Although there are many other prestigious races and events on today's racing calendar that bring fortune and fame to winning horses, the Triple Crown stands alone as horse racing's biggest and most prestigious prize.
Over the course of nearly a century and a half, only 13 horses have achieved this rare feat, beginning with Sir Barton in 1919. Following a 37-year drought in Triple Crown Winners, American Pharoah famously ran to victory in the 2015 Belmont Stakes. And most recently, Justify prevailed in all 3 races in 2018 to make Bob Baffert one of only two trainers with multiple Triple Crown winners (Jim Fitzsimmons was the other with Gallant Fox in 1930 and Omaha in 1935.
But who was the greatest Triple Crown Winner of all-time in horse racing history? On May 2nd, 2020, NBC aired a one-of-a-kind virtual sporting event to try and answer that very question.
With the Kentucky Derby on hold until September, the 13 historic champions of the Triple Crown faced off in a virtual race to determine who truly was the greatest American thoroughbred of all-time!
Opening Odds and Results for the Triple Crown Showdown
After settling in the middle of the pack for much of the race, Secretariat made his move on Seattle Slew coming down the homestretch. Prevailing in close finish ahead of Citation, Secretariat won the Triple Crown Showdown, with Seattle Slew finishing third, Affirmed taking fourth and American Pharoah rounding out the top 5 finishers.
|Post Position||Finish||Triple Crown Winner||Triple Crown Year||Opening Odds|
Watch the Historic Triple Crown Showdown
Triple Crown Winners
Read on below as we size up this baker's dozen of legendary horses.
More Triple Crown Analysis
Below is an archive of analysis about the Triple Crown and past winners from BetAmerica handicappers, insiders, and horse racing enthusiasts.
- The Triple Crown Requires Greatness - May 8, 2015
- With Triple Crown, Baffert Becomes Greatest of All Time - Jun. 13, 2015
- Where Does American Pharoah Rank? - Nov. 10, 2015
- Triple Crown of Thoroughbred racing by the numbers - Apr. 23, 2020
- Revisiting the years of Triple Crown winners - Apr. 23, 2020
- The Triple Crown and sports: An intersection of history, Part I - Apr. 23, 2020
- Triple Crown records - Apr. 24, 2020
- The Triple Crown and sports: An intersection of history, Part II - Apr. 24, 2020
- The Triple Crown and sports: An intersection of history, Part III - Apr. 27, 2020
- The Triple Crown and sports: An intersection of history, Part IV - Apr. 28, 2020
- Why hasn't a filly won the Triple Crown? - Apr. 30, 2020